In the past, factors such as bone loss and diabetes prevented patients who wanted dental implants from receiving treatment. But thanks to advancing studies in the field of implant dentistry, this is no longer the case. During your consultation at our Orlando, FL, office, Dr. Alfredo Gapuz will assess your overall health, perform high-resolution imaging, and conduct a thorough dental exam to identify and treat oral health concerns prior to dental implants. With a few exceptions, we find that most patients with missing teeth meet the requirements for dental implants.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Generally, dental implants are a good option if:
- You are missing one or more natural teeth
- Your current bridge or denture is no longer fitting properly
- You want your restoration to look as natural as possible
- You can commit to a treatment spanning four to six months
- You are in good oral and overall health
Many patients think they are too old to receive dental implants. While old age does not disqualify you from getting dental implants, young children and teens are not considered good candidates because their smiles are still developing and changing.
How We Evaluate Your Candidacy
During your consultation, we will perform:
- Imaging: X-rays and 3-D imaging allow Dr. Gapuz to assess the health of your jawbone and the position of your sinuses. Based on these images, we can determine whether a bone graft or sinus lift is necessary prior to implant treatment.
- Dental Exam: Your initial exam is an opportunity to diagnose and treat oral health concerns such as gum disease. Because periodontal disease increases your risk of implant failure, Dr. Gapuz will need to treat gum disease prior to your implant surgery.
These assessments help us diagnose and treat preexisting issues to establish your candidacy for dental implants.